Friday, January 24, 2014

Lady Mix-A-Lot

So far the year 2014 has been full of new:  I moved into a new apartment on January first (also first time living alone!), it's my first semester of full-time work and part-time school, and it's my first attempt to succeed at a minimalist/healthy/active/zen lifestyle (hello hot yoga!).  But, my favorite new thing of all is GIRL'S DAY with Carly DeBurger.  Carly and I met on our London trip with Dr. Howarth's "London Calling" class in the summer of 2012.  With my new apartment officially a boy-free-zone, we've gone a little crazy making girly-girl mixed drinks on weekends. 

Which brings me to my next new experience of 2014: using wine as a mixer!  Okay, okay, I've had sangria but that doesn't count.  I'm talking about going to the store with a brand new drink recipe in mind and wine being one of the main ingredients.

Our concoction is so ridiculously simple and delicious (and cute!), that there's pretty much no way you can go wrong. 


One part white wine
One part Sprite (we used diet Sierra Mist--0 cal.--because, um, it's still January.  We're not giving up on ourdiets that easily!)
Throw in frozen strawberries
(Eat the strawberries when your drink is gone, and congratulate yourself on both your resourcefulness for not wasting any alcohol and on your good dietary habits for eating fruit.)

A major perk to mixing wine is that you can go very, very cheap on your wine choice because, hey, you have other flavors to drown the poor quality of your purchase (did I mention I just got a new apartment?  My budget is even tighter than usual!).  We used a box of Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio (in other words, Great Value Pinot Grigio), but we, and our wallets, were more than satisfied.

On that note, I will say that on Monday morning when I was bragging about me and Carly's wine mixed drink adventure, my coworker said it sounded "white trash."  Take that as you will, but I believe they're just jealous they didn't think of it.  And heck, isn't being "white trash" in style right now?

Our simple recipe is just a building block for other mixed drinks you can make with wine.  Perhaps try some other types of fruit?  Use blush white for a prettier appearance?  A couple days ago Carly sent me a text that read, "We should blend the wine with the berries! Wine smoothie! Ahhh!" 

She says wine smoothies?  I say why not?

Did I mention that Carly's a phenomenal chef?  Check out her cooking blog at carlymaedeburger.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment