Monday, April 22, 2013

Speakeasy

I live in the type of home town that people like to complain about.  "There's nothing to do." "Nothing new ever happens." "There's no culture."

Speakeasy, a brand new hangout in Joplin, is blasting all of those complaints to smithereens.  At least it is for me.  I'm in love.  It has elements of a speakeasy, an antique store, someone's hipster apartment, and it's all around really unique.

The Smoking Room
First of all, it's modeled after a real speakeasy (Joplin actually had a few in the 1920s).  The owner doesn't want to advertise its whereabouts but only gain patronage by word of mouth.  Since Speakeasy has only been open for about a month, it's generally the same crowd in there each time, which is cool because the decor and layout makes you feel like you're at someone's house party.  But still, I hope that word travels and the customer base keeps growing.  Like I said, there's not much to do in Joplin, but when we do get cool places like this, it's not uncommon for it to not last.

The Smoking Room, another angle
Anyway, back to the speakeasy theme.  I can't say where it's located, but I can say next time you're in Joplin, Missouri on Main Street, look for a red phone booth.  That's right.  The front door is disguised as a phone booth.  Once you step inside, pick up the phone and dial "999" and ask for "Richard's Taxi Service."  After that, one of my best friends, Josh, will let you in.  (Just to clarify, he works the door.)  The other thing that makes Speakeasy feel like an apartment is that it used to be an upstairs loft.  Most bars are one big space, but Speakeasy is divided into separate rooms.  There is the Smoking Room (pictured), which is my personal favorite.  The entire place is smoking (yes, we still do that inside in Joplin), but this room was named for smoking cigars.  Hardly anyone actually does, but the themed naming is a nice touch.  It's the coziest room in my opinion.  Another room, what would have been the living room, houses the bar.  Then there's a room that feels more like restaurant dining and is just meant to be extra seating.  Speakeasy doesn't have a menu but does serve free hors d'oeuvres sometimes. Another room has more seating and loops silent films all night on a large screen.  There is also the Poker Room complete with a traditional round poker table.  I don't know how to play poker, but I feel so darn cool hanging out in there.  Or, as my friend Pete put it, "I feel like I should be a dog right now."

I forgot to mention that the bartenders dress like flappers.  Oftentimes there will be live jazz music or a soulful singer dressed to fit the era.  Sometimes there isn't a performance, but there's always live music.  People are encouraged to bring their instruments and it's not uncommon to see a guy just relaxing in an armchair picking at his guitar as if he were at home.

On my first visit, I tasted a Cabernet Sauvignon called Silver Palm Cabernet, 2010.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the label because I had taken the last serving of the last bottle, and she'd already thrown it out.  I remember it being pretty dry, more spicey/oakey than sweet, and medium-bodied.  I've since learned that it comes from Northern California.  Many reviews have referred to it as "vintage" in flavor, so I suppose that goes with the theme.

If you've never had a reason to visit Joplin, Missouri before, the Speakeasy is definitely one to consider.

1 comment: